Overview of Premarital Screening
Marriage considered a remarkable event in the individuals' lives, as they work on starting a family, and through which the individual ushers a new stage in terms of building the emotional, social, familial, and healthy relationships. In addition, it guarantees preventing the couple from the hereditary and infectious diseases in order to build a happy, stable family, getting along well.
The injury of any of the family members with hereditary and infectious diseases leads to foul the pleasure of life and several psychological, social, and economic problems. Not to mention the medical disorders and their repercussions on the patient, family, and community.
Definition of the Healthy Marriage:
Healthy marriage defined as state of agreement and harmony between the marriage partners with regard to the healthy, psychological, sexual, social, and legislative aspects, aiming at making a sound family and begetting healthy, happy children.
Definition of Premarital Screening:
It defined as conducting examination for soon-to-be married in order to identify if there is any injury with genetic blood diseases such as sickle-cell anemia (SCA) and Thalassemia, and some infectious diseases such as hepatitis B, C and HIV "Aids". This is in order to provide medical consultation on the odds of transmitting these diseases to the other marriage partner or the children in the future, and to give options and alternatives before soon-to-be married with the aim of helping them plan for a healthy, sound family.
Objectives of Premarital Screening:
The healthy marriage program considered a national, communal. Aware and preventive program aims at:
- Limiting the spread of some genetic blood diseases: sickle-cell anemia (SCA) and thalassemia, and some infectious diseases: hepatitis B, C and AIDS/HIV.
- Reducing the financial burdens resulting from the treatment of the injured in terms of the family and community.
- Reducing pressure over health institutions and blood banks.
- Avoiding the social and psychological problems for families whose children suffer.
- Making those seeking such a check-up feel at ease.
- Disseminating awareness with regard to the concept of the comprehensive, healthy marriage.